Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gospel Submission and Wives

My friend Keith Watson has stirred up quite a bit of action on his Facebook page with this status:
Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Let me know your thoughts - ladies!
Well, I thought this is a good question. And in light of some of the responses he is receiving, I thought I might weigh in by publishing a sermon I wrote on this text and topic a couple of years ago.

Here is a snippet:
The new creation submission for wives, then, flows out of their union with Christ, who as their mediator submitted himself perfectly to the Father's will and accomplished the redemption of his people and their marriage to Christ--the very redemption that empowers marriage and that marriage is to reflect. The submission that wives are to give to their husbands flows out of Christ's very own submission to the Father.
You can read the entire sermon here. Sorry, no audio.

As Keith asked, so do I. Let me know your thoughts, ladies!


3 comments:

  1. Preached on the subject this past weekend at a men's event - preaching this week as part of our sermon in Ephesians.
    Great stuff Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Submission seems like such a simple act when put into the perspective of what is expected from the husband.

    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennifer, thank you for your comment. What I am hoping for wives and husbands to see is that the way in which we live out our unique roles is not rooted in the behavior of the other, but is based in our new life in Christ.

    ReplyDelete