So what does this look like in the every day life of a local church? What is involved? What does it take? What practical steps should a pastor and session take to faithfully shepherd their flock into increasing conformity to the word of God?
Over at Letters From Mississippi, David Strain shares 11 recommendations "based on sometimes painful experience and the sanctifying process of still trying to live out these lessons once learned." Here is a summary:
- It must be truth led.
- It is a long term venture/ministry.
- It is a must to understand that it is an emotional issue, not just cerebral.
- It is wholly dependent on pastoral visitation.
- It requires humility, consistency, and teachability.
- It requires loving attention to the older members of the congregation.
- It must be done in a Presbyterian fashion--the session must work together.
- It requires patience and maturity.
- It must be pursued trusting God to accomplish his ends through his ordinary means of grace.
- It must be centered on preaching Christ.
- It must be founded on genuine love, fellowship and the congregation's shared life together.