Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Resources on Marriage and Family

I was recently asked what my favorite books are on child training and marriage. My honest response to this question is that I haven't found my "favorite" books yet, but, I have found several that have been very helpful. Below, you will find the top three books per category that I recommend.

For child training:
  1. A Christian Directory by Richard Baxter
  2. Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp (I am also interested in reading Instructing a Child's Heart, but haven't yet)
  3. Withhold Not Correction by Bruce Ray
For marriage:
  1. A Christian Directory by Richard Baxter.
  2. Reforming Marriage by Doug Wilson
  3. Strengthening Your Marriage by Wayne Mack

You will notice that A Christian Directory is listed under both categories. Back towards the end of the seventeenth century, the puritan pastor Richard Baxter wrote a large volume attempting to discuss all the different areas of living the Christian life. The volume is broken down into four main sections. First, private duties; second, family duties; third, church duties; and fourth, civil duties. Given that it was written several hundred years ago and is so large, it can be intimidating to pick up--but the section on family duties is worth it.

Well, I just saw today that the second section has been published as its own book with slight revisions as The Godly Home. If you are interested, you can read the Introduction and a sample chapter here.

2 comments:

  1. The adult Sunday School class in the church I serve is currently watching Paul David Tripp's DVD series: "What Did You Expect? Redeeming the Realities of Marriage." Excellent material (but, I know, this format is not a book).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought "Instructing a Child's Heart" but haven't opened it yet. LOVED Shepherding a Child's Heart - think it needs to be an annual read.
    For marriage I cannot recommend highly enough "Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas. I hate most marriage books because they always make me think "my husband should read this part" and then I get mad because I know he won't! This book puts the onus on the reader to use marriage in his life as God intended - as a tool to maturity in faith.

    ReplyDelete