Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reformed Theology's Tradition of Natural Law

For those who know me, you know that I believe very strongly in the doctrine of the spirituality of the church, or its popular title today Two Kingdoms theology.  To many, though, the title of this post, and me holding to the 2K doctrine as a Reformed pastor is an inherent contradiction.  For many, the Neo-Calvinist position of transformationism as taught by Abraham Kuyper (and others) is considered the Reformed view on the relationship between the Church and State.  In fact, many are saying that the 2K position is a historical novelty in Reformed circles.

However, David VanDrunen, in his recent book Natural Law and the Two Kingdoms: A Study in the Development of Reformed Social Thought, provides historical documentation to show that not only is the 2K position not a historic novelty, but that the Neo-Calvinist position is actually the novel position.  This book is very important in the ongoing dialogue within the Reformed camp on these issues and is a must read.

O.k., so I know you're probably thinking, "I don't have time to read another book right now, especially one on the historical development of Reformed social thought!"  I get it.  But, if you don't have time to read the book, you can still be informed on the material.  A few nights ago, VanDrunen delivered a lecture on the book for the Academy Lecture series held at Christ Reformed Church.  You can listen to the lecture here.

3 comments:

  1. David,

    DVD is the man. We're very pleased to have him as a member here in the PMWOPC. And congrats on your call to RPC. I fondly remember attending there while a student at Covenant (prior to the Cornerstone mission work). May the Lord bless you richly in your minintry to the saints there.

    Matthew Cotta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Matt, long time no see! I pray things are well with you. Now I could be wrong but didn't DVD pastor the church you are pastoring now? I really like his writings, especially on this topic. Thank you for your prayers. I am excited to be heading there and glad to hear of stories like yours. I pray that God will continue to be a blessing to college students, and thereby, a blessing to the broader church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some great material. Can I borrow your copy?

    John H

    ReplyDelete